Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Chosen Ignorance

We're not dumb, we know exactly why some jeans cost 50$ and others cost $8. We aren't ignorant enough to believe that Walmart just wants to make less of a profit, or happens to find cheaper suppliers. We know how, we know why, and we still buy.

I chose this topic because I read a few articles of recent tragedies involving child labour and sweatshops and I realized how real this issue is and how it's happening right now, in several parts of the world to people exactly like me. I understand the necessity of a job and as I stood in my Tim Horton's visor complaining about my life I realized that people my age and even younger are forced to work in devastating situations for hours that far surpass my 8. We know how lucky we are, but do we actually? Do we realize that we live in a place that is so different than 90% of the world who fear for their life every single day? Who have to work 22 hours a day, 6 days a week while being mistreated and abused to simply survive?

When I first chose this topic I had a very strong opinion that the companies choosing to knowingly support sweat shops were scum and consumers were undeniably selfish. However with further research I did realize it wasn't that simple, Chosen ignorance is the theme of this blog, the mentality that what we don't know can't hurt us. Most North American consumers are unaware of the hell-like conditions thousands of people are forced to work under every day, yet the resources to know about this exists everywhere. We all have a basic knowledge of where our clothes come from, but how often do we stop to think about it while we put on our clothes in the morning, or when we're at the mall?

The point of this blog isn't to guilt trip you every time you feel like shopping, but to encourage you to think and talk about it. The solution doesn't lie solely at a consumer level, but the only way to take it further is if we as a whole demand a change. Boycotting a company or only buying 'fair trade' products brings up a string of problems that would inevitably cause a chain-like reaction to more and more problems. The poverty stricken countries rely on exporting mass amounts of products to North America and other continents that purchase from these sweatshops. Simply boycotting the main company supporter of a certain sweatshop would only lead to worse conditions, lower pay, and a poorer economy for the country as the factory struggles to make ends meet. If more and more people demanded that certain companies regulate the standards of who they supply from, the solution would be at the retail level. These major name companies are responsible for knowing the working conditions of their suppliers and regulating the conditions, As many of these large companies own more than 70% of the products being produced from these sweatshops, they have the power and the duty to demand better for everyone involved.

We've all just gotten stuck with the question of 'what can I do about it?' and never bothered to find out the answer.

Have any ideas? Let me know if you agree/disagree or have any sugeestions below:

0 comments:

Post a Comment